More than 30 million people in the United States have diabetes, and 1 in 4 of them don’t know they have it. Diabetes is the 7th leading cause of death in the United States. These facts, published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, should serve to raise awareness about a medical condition that requires people who suffer to make specific adjustments to their diet.
The key to a healthy eating plan, as part of a diabetes diet, is to control the blood sugar. A diabetes diet simply means eating the healthiest foods in moderate amounts and sticking to regular mealtimes, according to Mayo Clinic experts team.
When you eat extra calories and fat, your body creates an undesirable rise in blood glucose. It is important to have in mind a diabetes diet is based on eating three meals a day at regular times. When creating a menu, choose healthy carbohydrates such as:
- Whole grains
- Legumes, such as beans and peas
- Low-fat dairy products, such as milk and cheese
Diabetes increases the risk of heart disease and stroke by accelerating the development of clogged and hardened arteries. Foods that contain the following should be avoided:
- Saturated fats present in products such as butter, beef, hot dogs, sausage and bacon.
- Trans fats found in processed snacks, baked goods and stick margarine.
- Cholesterol sources such as high-fat dairy products, egg yolks, and liver.
The Mayo Clinic experts suggest to use the plate method, following these steps:
- Fill half of your plate with vegetables, such as spinach, carrots, and tomatoes.
- Fill a quarter of your plate with a protein, such as a tuna, lean pork or chicken.
- Fill the last quarter with whole-grain items, such as brown rice, or starchy vegetables, such as green peas.
- Include “good” fats, such as nuts or avocados in small amounts.
- Add a serving of fruit or dairy and a drink of water or unsweetened tea or coffee.
Contact Vanguard Resources for more information on preparing a customized dining experience that adheres to the American Diabetes Association compliant recipes.